Tuesday, May 29, 2012

"something that demands blind devotion or merciless sacrifice"

I crush you.

Today we registered 100,000 hits.  This is nothing at all really, compared to some sites, but it's cool nonetheless.

We actually crossed this threshold some time ago.  The current hit counter dates from June 2009.  When the first counter (a third-party dealie) crashed, it had 20,000+ hits.  Before adding that one I'd already had a few thousand hits.  Conceivably, our hit count is closer to 130,000.

Not that any of this is terribly important.  I do keep an eye on the stats but am not obsessed by them.  Nonetheless 100,000 seems a kind of milestone so I thought I'd mark it with a brief post.

Over-the-topness for the occasion, lifted in its entirety from here: 

I wish you a hearty Congratulations on this pleasant occasion. May your life always shower you with such happy and successful moments. Well done. Congratulations.

or 

Your character, composure, focus and courage, has earned you this success and glory. Congratulations and let the spirit never fade away.

Don't worry, fortune cookie!  I will continue to shower with an unfaded, successful and glorious spirit!

7 comments:

  1. "something that demands blind devotion or merciless sacrifice" ... May your life always shower you with such happy and successful moments.

    Are you talking about sex ? This post is confusing...

    miji67

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I wrote this I wanted an image that was ironic hyperbole, so I googled "juggernaut" and eventually came up with this from Wikipedia. I'm not sure if you know this word MJ, but we basically use it to mean an unstoppable force rolling over everything in its path. We could speak of a political campaign or a sports team as a juggernaut. Apologies if you know the word--after all, your English is great!

      Anyway, I always thought the word was linked to the French "nautonnier" as in "astronaut" or "argonaut", maybe something from Greek mythology or a reference to some mad Persian war machine.

      I was surprised to learn it comes from "Jagannātha", a name of Krishna. Apparently there's a 14th-century travelogue in which the author describes a religious festival where great carts were rolled out to honor Krishna and people flung themselves under the wheels to be crushed in mindless devotion. It seems more likely that this would have been due to the chaos of the multitudes rather than an intentional act, as Wiki points out.

      Anyway the quote: "something that demands blind devotion or merciless sacrifice" is a 19th-century definition of Juggernaut which refers to this earlier work (The Travels of Sir John Mandeville).

      None of which I knew before finding this picture, which was a just sly way to poke fun at myself without anyone knowing....as are the congratulation quotes, which I found ridiculous, much like myself!

      Delete
  2. "blind devotion or merciless sacrifice" doesn't immediately bring sex to my mind, but there you go, maybe I'm doing it wrong.

    cheers on the 100k hits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not with three kids, mate! Something going on right. I think MJ wears a leather blindfold and spikes to bed, so maybe that's why the quote makes her think of sex. 8D

      Delete
  3. Speaking of landmarks, I see that we are creeping toward 500 posts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So we are a juggernaut after all. Sadly, I'm a bit bereft of inspiration or energy. I hope the heroic days of my LoS work aren't over!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Need to add an image? Use this code: [ximg]IMAGE-URL-HERE[x/img]. You will need to remove the the boldface x's from the code to make it work.